(619) 737-3919
Mon - Fri 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Free 30 min Consultation

Summary Dissolution


The most common questions people ask themselves upon making a decision to file for a divorce are:

  • I have been married just for a few years and don’t have much assets and liabilities, is there a way to get divorced faster?
  • I don’t have children, can I get divorced faster?
  • Is there an inexpensive way to get divorced?
  • What is the easiest way to get divorced?

The answer is “yes” and it is called “Summary Dissolution”, but in order to go through this divorce process several mandatory requirements have to be met.

Summary Dissolution is available only when all the following requirements exist at the time of filing the Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution:

  1. At least one of you has lived in California for the past six months and in the county where you are filing for dissolution for the past three months;
  2. You don’t have minor children;
  3. You (your spouse) are not pregnant;
  4. You have been married five years or less;
  5. Neither of you are planning to ask for spousal support;
  6. Neither of you have disagreements about how assets & debts are going to be divided;
  7. Neither of you own real estate;
  8. You community property is not worth more than $45,000. (Do not count cars in this total.);
  9. Neither of you have separate property worth more than $45,000. (Do not count cars in this total.);
  10. The total of your community obligations (other than cars) is $6,000 or less.

If you meet all aforementioned requirements then you can file for Summary Dissolution.

Below you can see the forms you need to fill out and file with the court:

  1. Venue Declaration (form D-049);
  2. Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution (form FL-800) along with a property settlement agreement; and
  3. Judgment of Dissolution and Notice of Entry of Judgment (form FL-825).

Forms can be found at:

Additionally, California law requires that you and your spouse exchange a Preliminary Declaration of Disclosure. Please see my previous post called “What is a Preliminary Declaration of Disclosure? Why do I have to exchange it?”


In Summary Dissolution process you will have to exchange a Preliminary Declaration of Disclosure before you sign your property settlement agreement.

California has a mandatory waiting period for getting divorced; your divorce will be final not earlier than six months after filing the aforementioned forms.

During this six month period either of you can stop the process of Summary Dissolution. To stop the process you need to fill out and file with the court a Notice of Revocation of Petition for Summary Dissolution (form FL-830), and it will stop the divorce.

The form can be found at:

DISCLAIMER: This Blog/Web Site is made available by the lawyer/law firm publisher for educational purposes ONLY as well as to give you general information, not to provide specific legal advice. This article should not be taken in any way as legal advice on your specific legal matter.

Please contact me at 619-737-3919 to schedule a 30-minute initial complimentary consultation to discuss your personal situation.

NOTICE: This Blog/Web Site constitutes advertisement materials and is meant for the residents of the State of California only. By using this Blog/Web Site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The materials presented in the Blog/Web Site may not reflect the most current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. These materials may be changed, improved, or updated without notice. The Law Office of Maria Rogova is not responsible for any errors or omissions in the content of this Blog/Web Site or for damages arising from the use or performance of this Blog/Web Site under any circumstances.


Related Posts


Ms. Rogova, who is bilingual English-Russian, earned her law degrees from American and Russian universities. She earned her Russian law degree in 2003 and practiced law in Russia for over 7 years. Ms. Rogova has a broad range of legal experience in Russia such as contract litigation, corporate law, arbitration, real estate, and labor law. In addition to her law degree, in 2007 Ms. Rogova earned a Master of Finance degree.

Recent Articles

Spousal Support in California, law and expectations.
January 23, 2024
Navigating Divorce and Child Custody
Navigating Divorce and Child Custody
November 2, 2023
Is it mandatory to meet the residency requirements to file for divorce in California?
October 25, 2022