(619) 737-3919
Mon - Fri 8:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Free 30 min Consultation

What to do next?


“I got served with divorce papers. What am I supposed to do? Are there any deadlines to respond? What forms am I supposed to use to respond? What I can and cannot do.”

Almost everyone has many questions and no one can be totally prepared for this moment. Below you will find some answers to your questions.

Most likely you have been served with the following documents:
1. Summons (form FL-110);
2. Petition for Legal Separation or Dissolution or Nullity of Marriage (form FL-100);
3. Venue Declaration (form D-049);
4. UCCJEA (form FL-105), if you have minor children; and
5. Proof of Service of Summons (form FL-115).

The most crucial step is to timely file a response to the Petition.

You must file your response at the court within 30 calendar days from the day the Summons and Petition are served on you and have a copy of the response served on the petitioner. Mark this deadline on your calendar and do not miss it as you can face very severe consequences.

If you forgot the date when you were served with divorce papers you can look it up in the Proof of Service of Summons (form FL-115).

The following forms have to be used to respond to the Petition: Response (form FL-120) and UCCJEA (form FL-105), if you have minor children. Also, you will be required to pay a court fee in the amount of $435 unless you are qualified for a fee waiver.

Forms can be found at:

Additionally, please carefully read page 2 of the Summons (form FL-110). It states that both parties are restrained from doing the following:
1. Removing the minor children of the parties from the state or applying for a new or replacement passport for those minor children without the prior written consent of the other party or an order of the court;
2. Cashing, borrowing against, canceling, transferring, disposing of, or changing the beneficiaries of any insurance or other coverage, including life, health, automobile, and disability, held for the benefit of the parties and their minor children;
3. Transferring, encumbering, hypothecating, concealing, or in any was disposing of any property, real or personal, whether community, quasi-community, or separate, without the written consent of the other party or an order of the court, except in the usual course of business or for the necessities of life; and
4. Creating a nonprobate transfer or modifying a nonprobate transfer in a manner that effects the disposition of property subject to the transfer, without the written consent of the other party or an order of the court. Before revocation of a nonproabte transfer can take effect or a right of survivorship to property can be eliminated, notice of the change must be filed and served on the other party.

You must notify each other of any proposed extraordinary expenditures at least five business days prior to incurring these extraordinary expenditures and account to the court for all extraordinary expenditures made after these restraining orders are effective. However, you may use community property, quasi-community property or your own separate property to pay an attorney to help you or to pay court costs.

DISCLAIMER: This Blog/Web Site is made available by the lawyer/law firm publisher for educational purposes ONLY as well as to give you general information, not to provide specific legal advice. This article should not be taken in any way as legal advice on your specific legal matter.

Please contact me at 619-737-3919 to schedule a 30-minute initial complimentary consultation to discuss your personal situation.

NOTICE: This Blog/Web Site constitutes advertisement materials and is meant for the residents of the State of California only. By using this Blog/Web Site you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the Blog/Web Site publisher. The materials presented in the Blog/Web Site may not reflect the most current legal developments, verdicts or settlements. These materials may be changed, improved, or updated without notice. The Law Office of Maria Rogova is not responsible for any errors or omissions in the content of this Blog/Web Site or for damages arising from the use or performance of this Blog/Web Site under any circumstances.



Related Posts

Leave a Reply


Ms. Rogova, who is bilingual English-Russian, earned her law degrees from American and Russian universities. She earned her Russian law degree in 2003 and practiced law in Russia for over 7 years. Ms. Rogova has a broad range of legal experience in Russia such as contract litigation, corporate law, arbitration, real estate, and labor law. In addition to her law degree, in 2007 Ms. Rogova earned a Master of Finance degree.

Recent Articles

Is it mandatory to meet the residency requirements to file for divorce in California?
October 25, 2022
Children are not toys in your divorce process!
September 14, 2021
Domestic Violence Temporary Restraining Order, DVTRO
August 3, 2021